Hope in Our Midst


A handful of the young populace of this country might be hesitant to cast in their votes for 2010 or even trust COMELEC enough to go there and enlist themselves as registered voters. A portion of the blame could be put on the media for blowing out of proportion the issues and to the opposition for creating scenarios which put the current administration in bad light but the majority of which should be on the administration itself. In the mind of the prospective first time voter, he may count himself out as early as now in the electoral process because maybe change is a word not found in today's political scene.

A young voter might remember 2004 elections when the current president won the tight race against the late FPJ. The same voter might also remember the next big thing in 2005 when the voice of her excellency was heard chatting with Comelec-man Garcillano re: cheating. I was in Sweden then visiting some relatives and I could honestly say that I was embarassed seeing her pictures in leading newspapers there with that information. The same young voter might now wonder, does my vote really count?

I registered a few weeks ago to vote for the first time in national elections and I am encouraging every qualified citizen to do the same (at least 18 years on May 11, 2010). I am not saying that I have full confidence in the COMELEC especially with a new system but my vote as well as yours are needed to make a better Philippines. It is our duty not only to vote but also to be vigilant and guard our votes for it to be an effective catalyst of change. It is not going to be easy but as long as the youth will work hand in hand, by our vote we can have a better Philippines.

by: Ivar
7/22/09 3:10 P.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment