Black and White


City of friendship are the first words one will see upon exiting Tagbilaran City's seaport. The sandugo (blood-compact) is an act of friendship said to have taken place in Bool barangay although now "accurately" moved to Loay. It is in my deep dismay though that provincial media centered in and around the city have demonstrated signs of partiality in both radio and print and word wars have raged their pages and airtime in total incoherence with the monicker the city is trying to live up to. In the course of this post utmost impartiality will be observed based on what I have heard and read in the last couple of weeks.

First is the way below the belt hits between the DYRD-Bohol Chronicle and City Mayor Lim which apparently got hotter when the mayor ordered the city treasurer to audit past books of the said media establishment for unpaid taxes. Not to defend the mayor but ever since that fateful day I could not read anything about the mayor that's good or close to that. It is the right of every journalist to tackle government issues but a line should be left uncrossed. "Trabaho lang walang personalan" as a Filipino saying goes. I hope this would not be taken the wrong way by the aforementioned entities. The same also goes with paid programming which I understand is the lifeline of the radio stations but has become a source of misleading information to the public and fuelling further political unrest.

Another thing is the "latest" HNU survey on radio listeners throughout the province and just this morning as I was reading the SundayPost, words of congratulations from Guv-wannabe Cesar Montano to DYTR as the leading radio station here. As I grabbed a copy of the Bohol Chronicle, I could not help but scratch my head upon reading greetings to DYRD for being number one. I know that the respective papers are married to the stations but as far as I know, there is only one Holy Name University or could they mean another HNU? These instances have made media more and more cheaper (not literally though).

It is my humble prayer that issues would be presented black and white for the people to gain leverage in 2010 elections and beyond.

by: Ivar
7/28/09 9:46 P.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment